Due to the age and ongoing health issues of Barry Epstein (Director of ICULD&E Co. Ltd. and Trustee of the ICULD&E Foundation) the activities of the Company and Foundation have been wound down and future formats for the Edward Filene Credit Union Awards for Performance Excellence, Great Britain & Ireland and for leadership internationally, the Joe Biden Awards for the Development Educator of the Year from Africa, Asia, Australasia, Caribbean, Europe and North America are still under consideration.
All funds remaining in the Foundation’s bank account were donated to the Australian Mutuals Foundation, its strategic partner, to carry on its work, parts of which are compatible with the erstwhile efforts of the Company.
The International Credit Union Leadership Development & Education Foundation was launched with funds provided by the founder Trustees, sponsors and donors who supported its aims, the main one being to raise funds to enable active credit unionists to attend Credit Union Development Educator courses that upskill them and assist in their endeavours to bring the ethos and ideals of credit unions to their communities and wider world - more details here
Barry and Marilynne Epstein, the Co-Trustees of the ICULD&E Foundation, are also Co-Directors of a supporting company, limited by guarantee, the ICULD&E Co. Ltd, that donated funds from its profits to the ICULD&E Foundation.
The Foundation promoted ....
- the "Edward Filene Credit Union Awards for Performance Excellence in Great Britain and Ireland" and the "Joe Biden Awards for Development Educators of the Year" from Africa, Asia, Australasia, Caribbean, Europe and North America.
- The "Filene's" gave an opportunity to individual activists and credit unions in Great Britain & Ireland to demonstrate their performance excellence through various categories of credit union activity in order to serve their fields of membership and wider communities, bringing all the benefits of credit union owner-membership.
- The "Biden's" acknowledged the phenomenal achievements of individual Development Educators (in Africa, Asia, Australasia, the Caribbean, Europe (inc GB & Ireland) and North America, who work to improve the lives and opportunities of less fortunate people in their countries and in doing so, spread the Co-operative Commonwealth.
- It also organised the Credit Union "Oscars" - fundraising celebratory Dinners, where the successful participants in both the Filene and Biden Awards programme are showcased, acknowledged and applauded for their achievements, both nationally and internationally. The Dinners gave sponsors, donors and other attendees an opportunity to meet with these dynamic credit union activists at a joyous networking occasion.
- The "Pell Scholarship" Course Bursaries were funded from moneys raised at these Dinners as well as donations, supporting suitably qualified credit union activists and graduate Development Educators to further their knowledge and experience of credit union issues by attending various Credit Union Development Educator programmes taking place around the world.